Mon, 31 Oct 2005
Japan Debian Mini Conf 2005 is over
At first I'd like to say 'thank you' to organizer. Totally the quality of event couldn't satisfy me and maybe most participants, but this was first challenge step, so we'll be able to do more better next time if we have a chance.
BTW, I've another speech schedule on November. I try to do more better.
Sun, 16 Oct 2005
Go for ja_JP.UTF-8
vorlon announced 'Bits from the release team: the plans for etch'. Yay, let's try to keep a promise about schedule :) Another good news is aba becomes Relase Manager (although he has already worked as same as release manager :) )
My personal TODO for Etch is to find and solve problems around a transition from EUC-JP to UTF-8 on Japanese environment. Most parts are done by Debian people and other distro such as FedoraCore, but I'd like to clarify problems again and try to solve them. Yesterday I changed my LANG to ja_JP.UTF-8.
- I needed to convert filenames written in EUC-JP to UTF-8.
- Programs using GTK+2 and Qt work well.
- GTK+1 applications (such as xmms) have Mojibake. I took beep-media-player instead of xmms. :)
- Some of double width characters (box, arrow, and so on) of EUC-JP are displayed as single narrow width on X terminal (mlterm, gnome-terminal, and konsole). I found I can avoid this on mlterm by enabling 'Enable variable width'.
- zsh couldn't allow to input and complement UTF-8 characters. zsh-beta allows partially.
Tue, 11 Oct 2005
Preparation for Japan Debian Mini Conf 2005
Yukiharu Yabuki <yabuki at good-day.co.jp> announced Japan Debian Mini Conf 2005 at some computer mailing lists.
- Name: Japan Debian Mini Conf 2005
- Date: 28th Oct 2005 - 29th Oct 2005
- Place: Business Innovation Center Osaka (Sangyou Souzou Kaikan), Osaka city, Japan
- Host: Japan Debian Mini Conf executive committee
I have a session on 28th to talk about overview of Debian GNU/Linux Sarge and Debian Project as 'Welcome to the Debian world, Get ready!' Your well-known people tbm, Ukai, Gotom, and Junichi have a session also.
Web page doesn't say well, but Yabuki is trying to assign translator to translate Japanese to English.
Furthermore I'm a coordinator of key sign party at this conference. If you'd like to participate, please see KeySignParty.html.en and send your public key of GnuPG to me. We'll do CAcert.org assurance party at there also.
... Now I'm freezing in front of OpenOffice.org Impress :)
Sun, 09 Oct 2005
Stewed mackerel with miso (sabamiso)
Side dishes are hot Tofu, cooked pumpkin, and pickles of cucumber.
CUPS 1.2.0 b1
I uploaded new development snapshot of CUPS 1.2 -- cupsys 1.1.99.b1.r4748 -- to experimental. This version has many interesting changes for fearless people.
- New debconf questions about port/listen and browsing
- Improved backends, especially lpd
- Reformed Web interface
- Etc... See /usr/share/doc/cupsys/CHANGES.txt.