Wed, 28 May 2008
i386/amd64 d-i images for Etch, kernel version 2.6.25 + firmware + WPA support
Yesterday I updated my Etch d-i to use Linux kernel 2.6.25. You can download it from the usual place.
In this version, I merged newest WPA support patch was created by Glenn into netcfg and wpasupplicant (thank you very much, Glenn!). Although I haven't tested yet, I hope it works. Because Glenn already started to collaborate with d-i team about his work, I believe Lenny or EtchAndAHalf will have this cool feature soon.
This kernel 2.6.25 package is as same as one of Debian unstable. I modified the files of kernel-wedge and di-linux-2.6-*. See my SVN for details.
Fri, 15 Feb 2008
i386/amd64 d-i images for Etch, kernel version 2.6.24 (with security patch) + firmware + wpa_supplicant, 3rd release
For those who care a security vulnerability, I updated my backport d-i to use 2.6.24-4 of Debian unstable. Although I didn't touch other stuffs except modifying to include linux-headers and linux-kbuild correctly from previous release, I list up features again.
- Include Linux 2.6.24-4, fixes security problem.
- Include many wireless drivers and firmwares*.
- Include atl2, igb, acx, at76_usb, fsam7400 drivers*.
- Include wpa_supplicant and wpa_passphrase commands. Although there isn't any menu interfaces yet, you can use these tools at 2nd console (push Alt+F2).
*It is only the installation stage that you can use these additional drivers and firmwares. If you'd like to keep to use them after reboot, you have to do 'apt-cdrom add' and 'apt-get install linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-1-686' (or 'liunx-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-1-amd64', if you're using amd64 architecture).
As always you can take i386 or amd64 images (netinst CD, hd-media, and TFTP netboot) from here. Check FAQ also, especially when you're looking the way of TFTP boot.
Sun, 10 Feb 2008
i386/amd64 d-i images for Etch, kernel version 2.6.24 + firmware + wpa_supplicant, 2nd release
Today I improved previous version of backported Debian Installer for Etch.
- Include iwl3945 and iwl4965 drivers.
- Include usable wpa_supplicant and wpa_passphrase. I'm sorry but there isn't any menu interfaces yet (even on official Debian installer). You can run these tools at 2nd console (push Alt+F2).
As always you can take i386 or amd64 images (netinst CD, hd-media, and TFTP netboot) from here.
Wed, 30 Jan 2008
i386/amd64 d-i images for Etch, kernel version 2.6.24 plus firmware, firt release version
Some of you know, Eee PC was released at Japan also. My IRC friend Yamamoto asked me to build Etch installer with using 2.6.24 and atl2 driver for that machines.
Today I release first version of it. This is very early version.
- ported Linux kernel 2.6.24 from Debian unstable version.
- ported Ubuntu driver module package supported atl2, igb, acx, at76_usb, and fsam7400. This package includes a bunch of firmwares also (well, it's still unclear for me. Ubuntu bug#159933). I expect at least ipw2200 works. Although I believe you can use these devices during an installation stage, maybe you'll be not able to use them after reboot. There are packages named "linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-1-686" and "linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-1-amd64" for default kernels in CD. You can install them by "apt-cdrom add; apt-get install linux-ubuntu-modules-\*". (Oh, I noticed I had forgotten to build for other flavors. Will be fixed in next release.)
You can take i386 or amd64 images (netinst CD, hd-media, and TFTP netboot) from here.
Future plan: Includes iwl* and some other missing drivers. Supports basic WPA-personal configuration. Detects and installs linux-ubuntu-modules automatically during the installation.
By the way, some folks started Etch and a Half project. It sounds great idea. My productions will be completely replaced by their work :) [seriously, I subscribed their mailing list a few days ago.]
Mon, 14 Jan 2008
This game reminds me of my high school days. I had been playing "Sim City" every day.
Although Micropolis will be ITPed by someone (maybe by Debian Game Team) sooner or later, I packaged it for me. If you can't wait an official package, you can take my package (i386/amd64 version) from here. (Today's population was about 23,000. I almost forgot the techniques.)
[ yeah, Miriam Ruiz just ITPed as #460674. Good luck Miriam, you will have hard tasks :) ]